|Our single molecule research is highly
interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary that comprises the field of single
molecule biophysics/biochemistry, molecular electronics, nanobiotechnology,
bioenergy, and nanomedicine with the main purpose to reveal the mechanisms of
the single molecule electronic, mechanical, and interaction properties,
establishing the molecular structure-function relationships and probe how
environmental factors contribute to such properties. Its
centerpiece lies in the development and advancement of SPM-based single
molecule device and measurement techniques, including the SPM break junction
techniques the PI pioneered that are now widely adopted by many research groups
in the world and the AFM single molecule recognition and interaction imaging
and measurements. The techniques are used to study electronic transport and
mechanical properties in single molecular junction devices and sensing the
single molecule interactions between the probe molecules and the target
molecules (For more details on research projects, see Research).
- CL Guo, K Wang, E
Zerah-Harush, J Hamill, B Wang, Y Dubi, BQ Xu, 2016 Single-molecule
rectifier composed of DNA with high rectification ratio enabled
by structure modification, Nat. Chem., 8,
- Z Lou, B Wang, CL Guo, K Wang, HQ
Zhang, BQ Xu, 2015 Molecualr-level Insight of
Early-stage Prion Protein Aggregation on
Mica and God Surface by AFM Imaging and Molecular Simulation,
Colloids Surf., B 135 371-378 (Link)
- CL Guo, X Fan, H Qiu, W Xiao, L Wang, BQ Xu,
2015 High-resolution probing heparan sulfate-antithrombin
interaction on single endothelial cell surface: Single-molecule AFM
studies, Phys. Chem. Chem.Phys., 17 13301-13306
- K Wang, J Hamill, JF Zhou, BQ Xu,
2014 Mapping the details of contact effect of modulated Au-octanedithiol-Au
break junction by force-conductance cross-correlation, J. Am.
Chem. Soc., 136 (50), pp 17406–17409 (Link)
- K Wang, J Hamill, B Wang, CL Guo, S Jiang, Z
Huang, BQ Xu, 2014 Structure determined charge transport in single
DNA molecule break junctions, Chem. Sci., 5
(9) 3425-3431 (Link)
- MM Zhang, GJ Chen, G. Kumar, BQ Xu, 2013 Mapping
out the structural changes of natural and pretreated plant cell wall
surfaces by atomic force microscopy single molecular recognition
imaging, Biotechnol. Biofuels, 6, 147 (Link)
- JF Zhou, S Samanta, CL Guo, J Locklin, BQ Xu,
2013 Measurements of contact specific low-bias
negative differential resistance of single metalorganic molecular
junctions, Nanoscale, 3, 5715-5719 (Link)
- Wang, B Cl Guo, GJ Chen, B Park, BQ Xu, 2012 Following
aptamer–ricin specific binding by single molecule recognition and force
spectroscopy measurements, Chem. Commun., 48,
- Zhou JF, F Chen, BQ Xu. 2009. Fabrication and
electronic characterization of single molecular junction devices: A
comprehensive approach, J AM CHEM SOC 131 (30): 10439-10446 (Link)
- Xu BQ and NJ Tao. 2003. Measurement of
single-molecule resistance by repeated formation of molecular junctions, SCIENCE
301 (5637): 1221-1223 (Link)
|Group News (more)|
- Our paper "Label-free biosensing
of Salmonella enterica serovars at single-cell level" published by Nanobiotechnology, Kudos to Bin!
- Our collaborated paper published by Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., CGreat job, Kun!
- Our collaborated paper published by Nature Communications, Congratulations to Kun, Tong & Mingyu!
- Our invited review paper for Top. Curr. Chem. published, Congratulations to Kun!
- Our collaborator, Dr. Andrea Vezzoli from University of Liverpool visited the lab for a busy week, doing experiments with us.
- Our Nat. Chem. paper on single DNA rectififier ha been
highlighted in over 60 media news, (e.g. UGA Today,
Nature Chemistry Article Metrix Highlights, 3nd on the top 10 list of 2016 Nat. Chem., You Tube)
- Kun was awarded the MRS Graduate student Silver
Award at the MRS 2016 Fall Meeting (more),
- Kun was awarded the UGA Innovative and
Interdisciiplinary Research Award, great job!
- Kun was awarded the Sean M. Kirkpatrick Award
for Outstanding graduate Research, Congratulations!!
- Cunlan and Kun's Nature
Chemistry paper published ( link) Congratulations!
The world smallest diode out of DNA is beautifully demosntrated and
it has been generating the press highlighting this work around the world.
- Yanan's paper published by
Biotechnol. Biofuels, great job!
- Kun's PCCP paper published!
- Bin's J. Chem. Phys. paper
- Ourcollaborated paper
- Our collaborated RSC Adv.
paper published. Great job Tong & Yangang
PhD students and/or postdoctoral researchers:
Depending on the employment situation and grants available, I may have openings for PhD students and/or postdoctoral
researchers. Interested and highly motivated candidates are welcome to consult with Dr. Xu by sending email
The research activities of the group focus on the experimental
nanobiotechnology research. Specifically, we are doing single molecule study on biological molecules and systems,
with emphases on molecular electronics and single molecular interaction recognition and detection. Right now, we are looking for PhD students for 1), molecular electronics, and
2), AFM-based single molecular biophysics and biomechanics.Candidates with electrical engineering,
physics, chemistry and/or chemical engineering backgrounds and have working experience with STM and AFM are especially
encouraged to apply.
who are interested in hand-on research experience in our group’s focus research
areas, are also welcome to apply. Just send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
telling me a little bit about yourself and the project area in which you are